Re: Pashto yeh characters

From: Khaled Hosny (khaledhosny@eglug.org)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 12:36:13 CDT

    On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 06:43:19PM +0200, Andreas Prilop wrote:

    [...]

    > U+0649 has (should have) four glyphs without any dots. This is no
    > Arabic letter, but an Uighur letter. Therefore you should not use
    > U+0649 for Arabic, Persian, Pashto, Urdu but only U+06CC.

    I'm not sure what is the bases of this conclusion, but U+0649 have no
    dots in its initial/medial forms in Arabic too, it just happen not to
    get in those two positions in modern orthography, but it can be seen in
    Quran which is still written in the old, early Islamic orthography.

    See the attached image showing the words فسوىهن and ميكىل.

    Regards,
     Khaled

    --
     Khaled Hosny