Re: High dot/dot above punctuation?

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 16:39:16 CDT

    On 28 July 2010 18:41, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

    >> Contextual rendering is getting to be more common thanks to adoption of OpenType features. For example, both MS Publisher 2010 and MS Word 2010 support various contextually dependent OpenType features at the user's discretion. The choice of glyph for U+002E could be chosen according to an OpenType style.
    >>
    >> It's worth remembering that plain text is a format that was introduced due to the limitations of early computers. Books have always been rendered with at least some degree of rich text. And due to the complexity of Unicode, even Unicode plain text often needs to be rendered with more than one font.
    >
    > Are or will be OT features supported in, say, filenames?

    They are on my Windows Vista machine ... if you configure it to use an
    appropriate font. For example, when configured to use Code2000 the
    filenames "∪︀.txt" (U+222A UNION plus VS1) and "insec‍t.txt" (with a
    ZWJ between the c and t) both use OT features in Code2000 to render
    the filenames in Windows Explorer differently compared with plain
    "∪.txt" and "insect.txt".

    Andrew