Re: Reasonable to propose stability policy on numeric type = decimal

From: Martin J. Dürst (duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 00:13:59 CDT

    On 2010/07/29 13:33, karl williamson wrote:
    > Asmus Freytag wrote:
    >> On 7/25/2010 6:05 PM, Martin J. Dürst wrote:

    >>> Well, there actually is such a script, namely Han. The digits (一、
    >>> 二、三、四、五、六、七、八、九、〇) are used both as letters and as
    >>> decimal place-value digits, and they are scattered widely, and of
    >>> course there are is a lot of modern living practice.

    >> The situation is worse than you indicate, because the same characters
    >> are also used as elements in a system that doesn't use place-value,
    >> but uses special characters to show powers of 10.
    >
    > Is it the case that a sequence of just these characters, without any
    > intervening characters, and not adjacent to the special characters you
    > mention always mean a place-value decimal number?

    No. Sequences of numeric Kanji are also used in names and word-plays,
    and as sequences of individual small numbers.

    But the same applies to our digits. A very simple example is to use them
    as a ruler in plain text:

              1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

    Regards, Martin.