Re: Reasonable to propose stability policy on numeric type = decimal

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 00:20:11 CDT

    On 7/28/2010 9:33 PM, karl williamson wrote:
    >>> The digits (一、 二、三、四、五、六、七、八、九、〇) are used both
    >>> as letters and as decimal place-value digits, and they are scattered
    >>> widely....the same characters are also used as elements in a system
    >>> that doesn't use place-value, but uses special characters to show
    >>> powers of 10.
    >
    > Is it the case that a sequence of just these characters, without any
    > intervening characters, and not adjacent to the special characters you
    > mention always mean a place-value decimal number?

    No, these characters are also letters. So single character sequences
    cannot be taken as numeric, unless you have information from context.

    If you know that the string is a number, but don't know the format,
    then, I believe, the absence of the characters for 10, 100, etc. would
    indeed imply that the notation is place-value.

    A./