Re: U-Source ideographs mapped to themselves

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 14:02:31 CDT

    On Aug 29, 2010, at 6:07 AM, Uriah Eisenstein wrote:

    > Hi,
    > UAX #38 (Unihan) defines the kIRG_USource field as a reference into the U-source ideograph database described in UTR #45, having the form "UTCnnnnn". However, several CJK Compatibility Ideographs are mapped to their own code point values, e.g. "U+FA0C kIRG_USource U+FA0C". The formal syntax of kIRG_USource allows this, but I've found no explanation as to the meaning of such a mapping; there is also no such mapping from a code point to another code point.
    > Thanks,
    > Uriah

    This is being changed with the 6.0.0 release. The U-source for all such ideographs has been turned into a UTR #45 index, e.g., the U-source for U+FA0C is now UTC00915.

    What it means is that the character is a unifiable variant derived from one of the industrial (and not national) sources used by Unicode during the development of the original URO.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com