Re: Xmodmap Project - Please contact if interested in cooperating

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2010 - 18:59:37 CDT

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:39:35 +0100
    Krishna Birth <krishnabirth@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Correction:
    >
    > Could 7 characters to one कey be possible?
    >
    > On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Krishna Birth
    > <krishnabirth@gmail.com>wrote:
    >
    > > The diacritics are usually typed with non-diacritic letter. It
    > > would be nice to have facility to use both in convenient way e.g.
    > > toggling with a Fonts कey by permanently turning the Caps Locक to a
    > > Fonts कey.

    As has been pointed out before, this looks more like a job for a
    'keyboard' mapping, such as Tavultesoft's KeyMan. I've just done a
    similar thing with 'KeyMan for Linux' (KMFL), but using backslash (\)
    for stepping through cycles of two to four sequences. Incidentally, I'd
    recommend using mnemonic keyboards if you do use KMFL - the behaviour of
    'positional' keyboards can be bizarre to unacceptable if you have
    multiple Latin alphabet keyboards set up at the 'keysym' level. (Sorry
    if that's confusing - I don't know the terms to distinguish keyboards
    set up in terms of keysyms from those inplemented via a generic 'input
    method'.)

    7 keysyms to a key is quite possible - the basic X11 R6 Xlib definition
    requires at least 8 to be allowed. However, I don't think
    what you want can be done using xmodmap.

    Richard.