Re: First posting to list: Unicode.org: unicode - punycode converter tool?

From: Martin J. Dürst (duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2010 - 06:57:10 CDT

    On 2010/10/30 9:17, Markus Scherer wrote:
    > On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:57 PM, JP Blankert (thuis& PC based)<
    > jpblankert@zonnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> Dear unicode.org interested,
    >>
    >> I discovered at least 1 flaw in the converter tools I used so far (as
    >> Verisign's IDN to punycode converter): none of the ones I checkes recognises
    >> the German character

    >> (the sz, as from 'Straße' )
    >>
    >> correctly, the sign is always dissolved in ss.
    >>

    > This is standard IDNA2003 behavior.

    Yes.

    > It is usually desirable

    It is desirable in searching, but it wasn't desirable in domain names.
    The reason it got into IDNA2003 is because the IETF was looking for data
    to do case mapping beyond ASCII, and the data available from the Unicode
    consortium included the 'ß' -> ss mapping, and the IETF didn't want to
    change it because they feared that might start all kinds of discussions
    on all kinds of (essentially unrelated) issues.

    > because a) many
    > German speakers are unsure about when exactly to use ß vs. ss,

    Yes, but for many names, it's either one or the other. Essentially, no
    rules.

    > b) the
    > spelling reform a few years ago changed the rules,

    Yes. They got way easier and more straightforward.

    > and c) Switzerland does
    > not use ß at all in German.

    Yes. But that's no reason to take it away from those who use it.
    (at least myself being Swiss I don't think so)

    > This means that for most purposes it is
    > counter-productive (and can be a security risk) to distinguish ß and ss.

    Well, it can be a security risk to distinguish between 'i' and 'l' and
    '1', and so on, and nevertheless, it's being done for good reasons all
    the time.

    > IDNA2008, an incompatible update, by itself does not map characters.

    What's more important, IDNA2008 allows the 'ß' as is.

    > UTS #46
    > provides a compatibility bridge for both IDNA2003 and IDNA2008, and the ß
    > behavior is an option there.

    Yes. The basic idea in TR #46 is that in a first phase, 'ß' is mapped to
    'ss' for lookup, to give registries with German clients a chance to
    their clients to register true 'ß' where necessary. After that, the
    mapping can be dropped, so as in the (somewhat distant) future to allow
    for cases where a name with 'ß' and a name with 'ss' are resolved
    differently.

    Regards, Martin.