Re: First posting to list: Unicode.org: unicode - punycode converter tool?

From: Markus Scherer (markus.icu@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 19:17:07 CDT

    On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:57 PM, JP Blankert (thuis & PC based) <
    jpblankert@zonnet.nl> wrote:

    > Dear unicode.org interested,
    >
    > I discovered at least 1 flaw in the converter tools I used so far (as
    > Verisign's IDN to punycode converter): none of the ones I checkes recognises
    > the German character

    > (the sz, as from 'Straße' )
    >
    > correctly, the sign is always dissolved in ss.

    This is standard IDNA2003 behavior. It is usually desirable because a) many
    German speakers are unsure about when exactly to use ß vs. ss, b) the
    spelling reform a few years ago changed the rules, and c) Switzerland does
    not use ß at all in German. This means that for most purposes it is
    counter-productive (and can be a security risk) to distinguish ß and ss.

    IDNA2008, an incompatible update, by itself does not map characters. UTS #46
    provides a compatibility bridge for both IDNA2003 and IDNA2008, and the ß
    behavior is an option there.

    Best regards,
    markus