Re: First posting to list: Unicode.org: unicode - punycode converter tool?

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2010 - 11:17:04 CDT

    "JP Blankert (thuis & PC based)" <jpblankert at zonnet dot nl> wrote:

    > But one feedback I am missing: how to convert a word like 'Straße'
    > into punycode? I normally use the IDN Verisign converter,
    > http://mct.verisign-grs.com/, but that dissolves ß straight into
    > ss....so...
    > 1) is it possible to enter a whole word in unicode in order to have it
    > converted into punycode?
    > 2) if not: how convert into punycode?

    Keep in mind that Punycode is not intended for general processing of
    Unicode text. It is intended for domain name labels, which only by
    convention can be considered to be composed of "words."

    This distinction is sometimes lost on people who feel that domain names
    and/or Punycode should be able to represent any arbitrary sample of
    natural-language text in a linguistically correct way, which is not the
    case for any language.

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­