Re: First posting to list: Unicode.org: unicode - punycode converter tool?

From: JP Blankert (thuis & PC based) (jpblankert@zonnet.nl)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2010 - 12:01:22 CDT

    Yes yes, I agree, I am a domain name (especially: IDN) expert. I only
    expect one word to be translated.

    But the overall ICANN.org policy of IDN and enabling as many languages
    as possible in the domainname is dependent on some unicode progress that
    is being made. That is one of the reasons of my increased interest in
    unicode.

    And I find it a nice puzzle.....for example: I succeeded in registring a
    Gi'iz domain name (for good reasons - help the children there with an
    online English-Gi'iz dictionary), but I did not yet come across a Gi'iz
    Unicode chart. May have overlooked and will come later.

    Punycode is 'only' to have a worldwide latin based comparison basis for
    domainnames regardless language, and starts with xn--. It is because I
    noticed registrars were not yet ready for ß, that I looked for punycode.
    I worked my way out +- manually now, on ß. But the issue will come back
    for other languages.....if more people are interested in the link
    between unicode and domainnames/punycode, let me know, we can work
    together. Very few people on earth are interested in this is my
    experience (while I like it so much...). Have a good weekend!

    Philippe Blankert