Re: Application that displays CJK text in Normalization Form D

From: Jim Monty (jim.monty@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2010 - 14:31:56 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote:
    > Jim Monty wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there even a single software application that properly displays CJK text
    >> in Normalization Form D?
    >>
    >> NFC: ドライドマンゴス
    >> NFD: ドライドマンゴス
    >>
    >> NFC: 나는 유리를 먹을 수 있어요. 그래도 아프지 않아요
    >> NFD: 나는 유리를 먹을 수 있어요. 그래도 아프지 않아요
    >
    > BabelPad running under Uniscribe v1.0626.6000.16386 displays the Katakana
    > examples identically (using Meiryo) and the Hangul examples identically
    > (using Batang).
    >
    > As usual, there is more to "does it display properly?" than calling out an
    > individual application or operating system.

    This is good to know. Thank you.

    > Furthermore, I don't think "CJK text" is an appropriate way to lump these
    > two issues together. In particular, Korean syllable-block formation isn't
    > like anything else in Unicode. When I read the Subject line, my first
    > thought was, how silly, ideographs aren't subject to normalization.

    Japanese kana (the "J" in "CJK") and Korean syllables (the "K" in "CJK") both
    have different normalization forms. What do ideographs have to do with anything?
    I didn't mention ideographs; you did.

    This is Korean text in NFC...

        유리를
        HANGUL SYLLABLE YU
        HANGUL SYLLABLE RI
        HANGUL SYLLABLE REUL

    ...and this is the same Korean text in NFD...

        유리를
        HANGUL CHOSEONG IEUNG
        HANGUL JUNGSEONG YU
        HANGUL CHOSEONG RIEUL
        HANGUL JUNGSEONG I
        HANGUL CHOSEONG RIEUL
        HANGUL JUNGSEONG EU
        HANGUL JONGSEONG RIEUL

    How is this text different than anything else in Unicode with respect to
    normalization forms NFC and NFD? What's wrong, exactly, with my question and the
    way I phrased it? I simply asked a question about CJK text (which includes, by
    definition, Japanese kana and Korean syllables and jamo) and software that
    displays such CJK text when it is in Normalization Form D. For the sake
    of clarity, I included specific examples.

    Jim Monty