Re: Application that displays CJK text in Normalization Form D

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2010 - 14:57:34 CST

    Jim Monty <jim dot monty at yahoo dot com> wrote:

    > Japanese kana (the "J" in "CJK") and Korean syllables (the "K" in
    > "CJK") both have different normalization forms. What do ideographs
    > have to do with anything? I didn't mention ideographs; you did.

    The term "CJK" is often used to refer to those characters which are
    common to Chinese and Japanese and Korean, viz. the ideographic
    characters.

    > This is Korean text in NFC...
    >
    > 유리를
    > HANGUL SYLLABLE YU
    > HANGUL SYLLABLE RI
    > HANGUL SYLLABLE REUL
    >
    > ...and this is the same Korean text in NFD...
    >
    > 유리를
    > HANGUL CHOSEONG IEUNG
    > HANGUL JUNGSEONG YU
    > HANGUL CHOSEONG RIEUL
    > HANGUL JUNGSEONG I
    > HANGUL CHOSEONG RIEUL
    > HANGUL JUNGSEONG EU
    > HANGUL JONGSEONG RIEUL

    Right, I got that.

    > How is this text different than anything else in Unicode with respect
    > to normalization forms NFC and NFD? What's wrong, exactly, with my
    > question and the way I phrased it? I simply asked a question about CJK
    > text (which includes, by definition, Japanese kana and Korean
    > syllables and jamo) and software that displays such CJK text when it
    > is in Normalization Form D. For the sake of clarity, I included
    > specific examples.

    There's nothing wrong with asking what systems display hangul the same
    in NFC and NFD, or similarly for katakana. Lumping them together under
    one "CJK" umbrella didn't seem right. There's nothing about a system's
    ability to display one correctly that implies an ability or inability to
    display the other correctly. One might as well ask if there are any
    systems which can properly display "Unicode text" in NFD.

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­