Re: Application that displays CJK text in Normalization Form D

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2010 - 17:00:19 CST

  • Next message: Jim Monty: "Application that displays katakana and Hangul text in Normalization Form D [Was Re: Application that displays CJK text in Normalization Form D] :-)"

    On 11/14/2010 12:57 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
    > Jim Monty <jim dot monty at yahoo dot com> wrote:
    >
    >> Japanese kana (the "J" in "CJK") and Korean syllables (the "K" in
    >> "CJK") both have different normalization forms. What do ideographs
    >> have to do with anything? I didn't mention ideographs; you did.
    >
    > The term "CJK" is often used to refer to those characters which are
    > common to Chinese and Japanese and Korean, viz. the ideographic
    > characters.

    Doug,

    you might want to talk to the author of UTN#14 then, because he seems to
    be using the term "CJK text" in a sense that I find indistinguishable
    from the way Jim did.

    Any relation of yours?

    :)

    A./

    PS: I too think that replacing the "CJK text" with "Katakana and Hangul"
    as a more specific choice, would have been an improvement- as written it
    makes the problem sound more open-ended than it is. But you guys are
    arguing about an E-mail subject line, of all things....