Phishing and enforcing Confusables.txt

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 03:09:51 CST

    Dear all,

    A friend of mine who is in the computer security industry told me that
    Confusables.txt is NOT enforced across the world. For example, despite
    there existing a website అపార.com with a Telugu అ registered somewhere
    in the world, another (phishing) website ಅపార.com with a Kannada ಅ may
    be later registered elsewhere in the world despite the following
    confusable mapping in the Confusables.txt:

    0C85 ; 0C05 ; ML # ( ಅ → అ ) KANNADA LETTER A → TELUGU LETTER A #

    I certainly hope this is not true! Please clarify. Is there no
    authoritative body to prevent such duplicate encoding? Doesn't the
    IANA do this?

    Shriramana Sharma.