Re: Phishing and enforcing Confusables.txt

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2010 - 14:01:09 CST

    On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com> wrote:
    > By "registry" I mean at any level. So just as .com regulates everything of
    > the form xxx.bom, the entity responsible for .blogspot.com controls
    > everything of the form xxx.blogspot.com. Thus there are literally millions
    > of registries.

    Just so that nobody gets frightened and accuses Unicode of making
    security problems for their script -- the above comment only means
    that for all (of the millions of) websites example.com the owners of
    example.com have the power to ensure that XXX.example.com is NOT
    confusable with YYY.example.com. And the .com registry owners have the
    same power to ensure that example.com is not confusable with
    example2.com...

    Now the question is, is there only one owner of .com? ICANN? Who?

    If this entity chooses to enforce confusables (does it?) then
    *wherever* a domain is registered it cannot be confusable with an
    existing domain name? To be precise, if my old example of ಅರಗ.com is
    registered in India, then అరగ.com cannot be registered *anywhere in
    the world*?

    Is that right? The above is what is desired to avoid phishing...

    Shriramana.