RE: Phishing and enforcing Confusables.txt

From: Shawn Steele (Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2010 - 15:11:44 CST

    ICANN cannot control what the registrars do, and the registrars have varying policies around names. Some are much more restrictive or lax than others.

    Basically, you cannot assume that a domain name is "secure" from phishing based on the name itself. Regardless of homographs. You & I probably realize that "paypal.safe.com" isn't really "safe". My grandma or father --- not so much. Homographs might be mildly interesting as a possible indicator of an attack, but 99.999999% of the current phishing attacks don't use a real "homograph".

    Whitelists/blacklists/trusted certificates, etc, are all much more reliable indicators.

    -Shawn