Re: Case mappings

From: Luke-Jr (luke@dashjr.org)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2010 - 10:04:32 CST

    On Monday, December 06, 2010 08:19:16 am QSJN 4 UKR wrote:
    > All we need for the reversibility of the case conversion operations is
    > two control characters. The first (let it be {F}) indicates that
    > letter should not be changed by ToUpper, ToLower, ToTitlecase
    > functions. The second ({T}) indicates the letter for "titlecasing"
    > except the first in line one. For exsample:
    > the {T}man and the {T}planet {F}Earth
    > The {T}Man and the {T}Planet {F}Earth
    > THE {T}MAN AND THE {T}PLANET {F}EARTH
    > So my question is Why we have bidi-algorithm and RLE, LRO, PDF etc.,
    > have arabian shaping and ZWJ, ZWNJ etc., have casing and have NOTHING
    > for control it, why?

    I would suggest that 'titlecasing' capitalizes each word by default, and non-
    titlecased words such as 'the' are the exception to this rule, that your {T}
    should instead of replaced with a {not-T}. In either case, however, how could
    the computer know the words "The Man" and "Planet Earth" are part of a single
    title? So yet a 3rd and 4th character (which might already exist?) are needed
    for zero-width "beginning of title" and zero-width "end of title".