So much for Unicode being character-based, not glyph-based

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 07:25:10 CST

    It seems people always find a way to make something else out of
    something. The "character-based, not glyph-based" Unicode has been
    (ab?)used by some imaginative entrepreneurs to create stylistic ways
    of writing text.

    While I have seen people use the curly ॆ ॊ in Devanagari intended for
    *short* O in *Sanskrit* texts where there is NO short O simply because
    it looks good, the following Orkut invitation I recently got takes the
    cake. A copy-paste:

    °ღ•ŚℋÚßℋÁℳ ŚℋÁℛℳÁ●•٠·˙

    Uniview gives a very interesting diagnosis:

    ° 00B0 DEGREE SIGN
    ღ 10E6 GEORGIAN LETTER GHAN
    • 2022 BULLET
    Ś 015A LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH ACUTE
    ℋ 210B SCRIPT CAPITAL H
    Ú 00DA LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH ACUTE
    ß 00DF LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S
    ℋ 210B SCRIPT CAPITAL H
    Á 00C1 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH ACUTE
    ℳ 2133 SCRIPT CAPITAL M
      0020 SPACE
    Ś 015A LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH ACUTE
    ℋ 210B SCRIPT CAPITAL H
    Á 00C1 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH ACUTE
    ℛ 211B SCRIPT CAPITAL R
    ℳ 2133 SCRIPT CAPITAL M
    Á 00C1 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH ACUTE
    ● 25CF BLACK CIRCLE
    • 2022 BULLET
    ٠ 0660 ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT ZERO
    · 00B7 MIDDLE DOT
    ˙ 02D9 DOT ABOVE

    I must applaud this person -- whoever he/she is (as I really don't
    know him/her but somehow got an Orkut invitation by him/her) -- for
    their painstaking work and imagination.

    And since this Orkut entry is searchable via Google, I hope I'm not
    really infringing on privacy or copyright or anything like that. If at
    all, it was *my* privacy that *might* be said to be infringed since I
    never asked for such an Orkut invitation!

    --
    Shriramana Sharma.