Proposed Update UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing, Version 6.0.1

From: announcements@unicode.org
Date: Wed Dec 29 2010 - 19:06:33 CST

    The Unicode Consortium has released a proposed update for UTS #46, Unicode
    IDNA Compatibility Processing, Version 6.0.1. This update is intended to
    make it easier for implementations to both support IDNA2008, and use the
    mappings in UTS #46. Those mappings allow implementations to meet user
    expectations for handling uppercase and lowercase, and other character
    variants, and maintain compatibility with IDNA2003. The proposed data is
    found in: http://www.unicode.org/Public/idna/6.0.1/

    The proposed draft does not change the UTS #46 status or mapping data for
    Unicode 6.0 characters; instead, it adds new informative fields to the data
    file and the conformance test file, fields that provide information as to
    which characters are allowed under IDNA2008. Because UTS #46 is targeted at
    client software such as browsers, the conformance tests do not check for the
    CONTEXTO conditions of IDNA2008, which are optional for client software.

    Feedback on the proposed draft is welcome. Of particular interest are
    independent mechanical verification of the new field values, and feedback
    as to whether it would be useful to add checks for the CONTEXTO conditions
    to the conformance tests.

    Details of the Public Review Issue are on the following web page:

         http://www.unicode.org/review/

    Review periods for the new items close on January 31, 2011.

    If you have comments for official UTC consideration, please post them by
    submitting your comments through our feedback & reporting page:

         http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html

    If you wish to discuss issues on the Unicode mail list, then please use the
    following link to subscribe (if necessary). Please be aware that discussion
    comments on the Unicode mail list are not automatically recorded as input to
    the UTC. You must use the reporting link above to generate comments for UTC
    consideration.

         http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html

    ----
    All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
    or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
    users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
    this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
    see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements