The term called Virama in Unicode - its history in India

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2011 - 07:11:48 CST

     Sanskrit grammars written in European languages in the 19th century
    use the term, *virāma *to denote a vowel-killer diacritic to produce
    a "dead" consonant - that is the akshara from which the
    inherent vowel, /a/ has been deleted.

    PiGkalantai nikaNTu in Tamil is the oldest text known from India
    to use *viraama* for the "dead" consonant.

    The question is: is it the European Sanskritists (working presumably from
    Tamil country) who use the term Viraama for vowel-killing diacritic
    in Orthography? Or, do we find the term, Virama as a vowel-deleter, in late
    centuries
    of 2nd millennium Sanskrit grammar or other texts?

    Thanks for any info,
    N. Ganesan