Re: square bullets added to unicode.

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2011 - 12:39:04 CST

    On 1/13/2011 10:03 AM, Dreiheller, Albrecht wrote:
    > Some PDF creating tools, such as "Acrobat 4.0 writer" cant handle fonts
    > using the Symbol Codepage. In some cases, using "Acrobat Distiller"
    > instead solves the problem.
    > As far as I can see, when Word uses Wingding.ttf, it does not use
    > Unicode Code Points as adressing space
    > but rather the "Symbol Codepage".
    > Of course, this is an anachronism. This is the reason why Wingding.ttf
    > is limited to 255 or less
    > characters, and additionally Wingdng2.ttf and Wingdng3.ttf was needed.

    Correct - the anachronism is needed, because unlike the Emoji
    characters, Unicode did not provide a dedicated mapping for these sets.
    Given the recent decision to provide such mappings for one set of
    vendors, adding the remaining wingdings and providing a mapping seems
    overdue.

    > Internally, Wingding.ttf seems to use Private Use Area codepoints such
    > as U+F0A7 for Symbol 167.
    > Thus, the symbols 32...255 are mapped to U+F020 ... U+F0FF.

    This is generally true for fonts identified as being of type SYMBOL.
    They support a mapping between
    0020-00FF -> F020-F0FF. AFAIK, that mapping is built into GDI.