Re: Increasing character limit for registration in internet domain names: 76 or 68 or 91 or 83 or 64 higher the better

From: Martin J. Dürst (duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2011 - 20:04:05 CST

    On 2011/01/15 7:17, CE Whitehead wrote:

    >> Krishna Birth wrote:
    >>>
    >>> hare-krishna-hare-krishna-krishna-krishna-hare-hare-hare-rama-hare-rama-rama-rama-hare-hare
    >>> = 91 characters
    >>
    >> hare.krishna.hare.krishna.krishna.krishna.hare.hare.hare.rama.hare.rama.rama.rama.hare.hare
    >>
    >> 7 characters.
    > Hmmm --- I see that you have put in dots and broken the domain into subdomains.
    > The limit of 63 ascii characters has to do with the number of bytes that can be processed efficiently;

    No, not at all. It has to do with the way the individual labels of a
    domain name (the parts between the dots) are sent over the wire. It's
    part of the DNS at an extremely low level. A lot of people have proposed
    a lot of changes to the DNS over many years of its use, and some of
    these have been specified and implemented. But an extension of the
    length limit isn't something of high importance.

    > also see:
    > http://forums.techarena.in/technology-internet/1227373.htm.
    >
    > This forum says that some browsers are only able to process 59 ascii characters.

    Which most probably is just wrong.

    > And I tend to agree that a longer domain can probably best be handled by breaking it into several subdomains.

    Yes. Please note that overall, there is a limit of 255 ASCII characters,
    which includes the dots.

    Also, please note that domain names are intended for identification, not
    for content (such as poems or prayers or whatever), and that having them
    easy to type usually helps.

    So the right thing to do is to just choose a short domain name (e.g.
    hare-krishna.something) and put the content you are interested in on a
    Web page at that address.

    That's what everybody else is doing, and it shoudn't have been too
    difficult to figure out by yourself without bothering this list (which
    has absolutely nothing to do with technical limits on ASCII domain name
    lengths).

    Regards, Martin.