Localizable sentences (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 04:10:10 CST

    On Thursday 27 January 2011, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org> wrote:

    > I do not believe localizable sentences will ever be appropriate for standardization in a plain-text character encoding, regardless of the size of the community of users. Perhaps they would be appropriate for standardization somewhere, but not in a character encoding.

    If localizable sentences become encoded in Unicode plain-text character encoding then they could be used intermixed with ordinary language.

    Suppose please that the following localizable sentence were encoded using one codepoint of plane 7.

    U+7XXXX Where can I buy a meal without any gluten in it please?

    For example, please consider that an English-speaking person in an Italian town wants to ask "Where can I buy a meal without any gluten in it please?" then he or she could use the U+7XXXX codepoint and throw it from an iPad to an iPad of an Italian-speaking person who could reply with the name of a restaurant and its address.

    If localizable sentences for giving movement directions were also encoded in Unicode then the Italian-speaking person could throw back directions that he or she had composed from an iPad menu in Italian and those directions would be displayed in English on the receiving iPad.

    William Overington