Re: Localizable sentences (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)

From: Mark Leisher ♺ (mleisher@math.nmsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 10:12:00 CST

  • Next message: Peter Zilahy Ingerman, PhD: "Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7 (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)"

    On 01/28/2011 08:16 AM, William_J_G Overington wrote:
    > On Friday 28 January 2011, Erkki I Kolehmainen <eik@iki.fi> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd suggest that you look into the practical difficulties in getting reasonable translations included in the CLDR repository, in terms of both the number of translated items and the level of continuous arguing over their correctness. Yet, these are important items that are widely accepted to need localization, in support of cultural adaptability of IT.
    >
    > Thank you for replying.
    >
    > I regret to say that CLDR is not something that I have studied so I know nothing about it. Thus I regret that I do not fully understand the message that you have written to me.

    Well. That certainly clarifies things. Assuming I'm not just falling for
    troll bait.

    This isn't a case of a standardization body dismissing an idea with
    prejudice. This is a case of you not grasping the enormity of the
    problems involved.

    I agree with Erkki. If you can't understand why there is so much
    argument over a small, restricted set of phrases in the CLDR, then you
    may never be able to apprehend the true scope and difficulty involved.

    I don't say this to be mean, but simply to try another way to make you
    understand that it just isn't as easy as it seems. What you are
    attempting has been tried many times, in many ways, few of which proved
    very satisfactory in the end. If you really want to delve into it, try
    reading literature about "translation by example."

    My apologies if I'm duplicating someone else's arguments. I usually
    delete these threads.

    --
    Mark Leisher