Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7 (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2011 - 02:52:36 CST

  • Next message: Asmus Freytag: "Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7 (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)"

    On Friday 28 January 2011, John Burger <john@mitre.org> wrote:

    > There are few, if any, sentences that, in every language AND IN EVERY CONTEXT are always translated exactly the same way.  Even such simple things as "Thank you" have, for instance, multiple possible translations in many languages, depending on the situation, the speaker's gender, the recipient's age, etc.  There is almost never one and only one correct translation ESPECIALLY for the simple sentences one might imagine going into such a database.  These are exactly the kind of utterance with the greatest ambiguity.

    Would localizing the following sentences produce problems?

    U+7XXXX Where is a pharmacy please?

    U+7XXXX Where can I buy a meal with no gluten-containing ingredients in it please?

    The localizing being carried out by a translator who is a native speaker of the target language.

    William Overington