Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2011 - 02:27:34 CST

  • Next message: William_J_G Overington: "Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7 (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)"

    On Friday 28 January 2011, Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Perhaps we might encode exactly one translatable sentence in plane 7, the meaning represented being, "Encoding translatable sentences in Unicode is found a fool's errand, so this sentence will be the last such sentence."

    No, because that would bind committees in the future. Doing nothing now would leave open the possibility that at some future time the Unicode Technical Committee could decide to encode some localizable sentences. For example, emoticons were suggested in 2002 and some emoticons were encoded in 2010.

    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F600.pdf

    If only one localizable sentence were to be encoded in plane 7, then a good candidate would be the following.

    U+7XXXX Where is a pharmacy please?

    There would be a graphic logo that would display in an ordinary system and the text could be localized automatically if desired by the user of a receiving device that had suitable software.

    Yet there is no need to restrict encoding in plane 7 to one localizable sentence. There is space there to encode a lot of useful localizable sentences.

    William Overington