Re: þorn.info

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2011 - 16:28:24 CST

    On 02/07/2011 04:56 PM, Charlie Ruland wrote:
    > AFAIK the letter þorn, like the present-day English digraph th,
    > represented TWO most important consonants: the voiceless/fortis
    > apico-dental slit fricative, as in ‘thin’ /θɪn/, and the voiced/lenis
    > one of ‘then’ /ðɛn/.
    > Charlie

    I think that is correct, though ð was also used for both sounds (it
    seems to be widely believed that þ was only voiceless and ð was only
    voiced, but that was not the case). And of course, having two solutions
    to a problem only made both of them weaker. I guess that should apply
    to "th" also, but apparently instead it made them easier to sweep away
    before the digraph.

    ~mark