RE: Facepalm gesture/emoticon proposal

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 10:57:40 CST

    Mark Davis 🙌 <mark at macchiato dot com> wrote:

    > There appears to be a significant misunderstanding of the purpose of
    > encoding those characters. We encoded them for compatibility, like
    > many other characters encoded in Unicode (Arabic presentation forms,
    > dingbats, etc.). We will continue to do so for entities that we
    > wouldn't otherwise encode*, that are in very widespread use*. That
    > doesn't mean that we will encode arbitrary 'images'.

    OK, so the answer to lohmatii's question is no, he shouldn't expect the
    so-called "facepalm" and "double facepalm" to be encoded in the Unicode
    "gesture symbols area" any time soon.

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­