Re: Facepalm gesture/emoticon proposal

From: Mark Davis ☕ (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 09:55:21 CST

    There appears to be a significant misunderstanding of the purpose of
    encoding those characters. We encoded them for compatibility, like many
    other characters encoded in Unicode (Arabic presentation forms, dingbats,
    etc.). We will continue to do so for entities that we wouldn't otherwise
    encode*, that are in very widespread use*. That doesn't mean that we will
    encode arbitrary 'images'.

    Mark

    *— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*