Re: Facepalm gesture/emoticon proposal

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 12:49:36 CST

    On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Ken Whistler <kenw@sybase.com> wrote:
    > On 3/2/2011 9:34 AM, Leo Broukhis wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Doug Ewell<doug@ewellic.org>  wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, so the answer to lohmatii's question is no, he shouldn't expect the
    >>> so-called "facepalm" and "double facepalm" to be encoded in the Unicode
    >>> "gesture symbols area" any time soon.
    >>
    >> Unless a /Japanese/ phone provider adds it to the repertoire of symbols.
    >>

    > *double facepalm*
    On a more serious note, I remember mentioning on this list that the
    original emoji proposal including Asian zodiac was incomplete as it
    did not cover the whole set of animals used in cultures adhering to
    that zodiac, and, for that reason or another, snail, whale and
    crocodile, among others, are now in Unicode.

    If an argument can be brought forward that facepalm somehow completes
    a set, albeit unintentional, of universal gestures already in Unicode,
    I believe that it should be considered in earnest.

    Leo