RE: Assigning a plane for mapping digits for many different bases

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2011 - 12:39:41 CST

    From: David Starner [mailto:prosfilaes@gmail.com]

    > I don't understand your message.
    > http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015017382519;page=root;view=image;size=100;seq=15;num=7
    > shows a page from a book on the duodecimal system that
    > uses two completely new characters for 10 and 11, that can
    > not be unified with any other characters in Unicode.

    If there are characters in established usage that are truly new and that cannot be unified with existing characters, then they can be considered for encoding. It's not clear to me that the characters on that page for ten and eleven satisfy those criteria. In particular, the character for ten appears to be nothing more than LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T. I can't tell what the letterform for eleven is--whether it's some kind of script l or a script-form ligature of e and l.

    > If it were so simple that all the duodecimal promoters used
    > those characters

    That is certainly a key factor. Not that there has to be a very large community of users, but we can't use Unicode as a device for someone to get their invented character adopted by other users.

    Peter