Re: Assigning a plane for mapping digits for many different bases

From: Julian Bradfield (jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2011 - 13:17:21 CST

    On 2011-03-09, Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote:
    > From: David Starner [mailto:prosfilaes@gmail.com]
    >
    >> I don't understand your message.
    >> http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015017382519;page=root;view=image;size=100;seq=15;num=7
    >> shows a page from a book on the duodecimal system that
    >> uses two completely new characters for 10 and 11, that can
    >> not be unified with any other characters in Unicode.
    >
    > If there are characters in established usage that are truly new and
    > that cannot be unified with existing characters, then they can be
    > considered for encoding. It's not clear to me that the characters on
    > that page for ten and eleven satisfy those criteria. In particular,
    > the character for ten appears to be nothing more than LATIN CAPITAL
    > LETTER T. I can't tell what the letterform for eleven is--whether
    > it's some kind of script l or a script-form ligature of e and l.

    Not at all. The numeral for ten is clearly NOT a LATIN CAPITAL LETTER
    T - rather, it's a symbol that has been designed to be reminiscent of
    but distinct from a T (compare it with the Ts on the same page);
    similarly the eleven symbol is a special sort that is like L but not
    the same. This is explained on page 15: (duodecimal), which since the
    OCR doesn't understand non-decimal page numbers is reached by going to
    (decimal) page 15 in the jump to page box.
    Of course, as it says, T and L can be used if you don't have the
    special sorts.

    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.