Re: Three modest proposals

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2011 - 11:34:22 CST

    On 2 Apr 2011, at 17:24, Karl Williamson wrote:

    > In English, almost anything that says "Modest Proposal" is likely to be meant to be satirical, given the infamy of the original writing of that name by another Irishman, Jonathan Swift, who was (satirically) suggesting cannibalism as a solution to the Irish poverty problems of his day.

    The three proposals were posted on that day because they are "marginal" and a bit "fun". They are nevertheless serious proposals.

    > Mr. Everson gave another clue in his email when he said "Enjoy the day everyone."

    That does not mean that the proposal were not serious.

    On the same date in other years I have also offered "modest proposals", such as the Phaistos Disc in 2007 and the inverted interrobang in 2005.