Re: Three modest proposals

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2011 - 13:03:26 CST

    As it turns out all three proposals were serious, I'll bring this
    discussion to the list.

    On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:
    > On 1 Apr 2011, at 21:02, Leo Broukhis wrote:

    [re heraldic hatchings]

    >> Where's ermine and vair?

    > 1) They are not really hatchings, they are furs

    This conflates two notions. Heraldic materials include metals,
    enamels, and furs. All of them need hatchings to allow depiction of
    сoats of arms in black and white print.

    > 2) It will be hard enough to get the rest of them encoded

    True. Your list completes a narrower set of heraldic solid tinctures
    the hatchings of which may be used for other purposes, e.g. in
    handicraft publications.

    > 3) The furs are Ermine, Ermines, Erminois, Pean, Vair, Counter-vair, Potent, and Counter-potent.

    I know (although not about all listed at the time of asking my question).
    I should have asked "where's ermine, vair, and their variants". I
    agree with the reason not to include them, at least not in the current
    proposal.

    Leo