Re: n4013 Proposal to encode additional Runic characters in the UCS [was: Three modest proposals]

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2011 - 14:10:21 CDT

    On 3 Apr 2011, at 19:50, FrΓ©dΓ©ric Grosshans wrote:

    > The α›ž glyph variant
    > ––––––––––––––
    > I guess you consider it as a glyph variation of the same character. And indeed, this variation is not used in the letter your reproduce, where one can find the word and written αš«αšΎα›ž 'normally' (e.g. end of line 8), and if I understood Per Linberg's paper correctly ( http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/runes-eng.pdf ), this shape is only used in this text.

    Yes.

    > It would be nice to tell that explicitly on your proposal, since the very first word of your transcription of Thror's map, α›‹α›αš«αšΎα›ž, doesn't look like the reproduction you give in figure 3.

    That's because Figure 3 is a scan of Tolkien's drawing, and my transcription uses a font. But it doesn't need explanation, as that character is not relevant to the characters being requested.

    > ––––––––––––––––
    > Since such diacritic use is not mentioned in the section 14.3 of the Unicode standard, I gues it should mentioned in your
    > proposal.

    I don't think so, because I don't need a new character to represent it.

    > Gandalf's Rune
    > Per Lindberg mentions a specific 'Gandalf rune' appearing in some runic manuscripts, identical with a later certh rune. I guess it is too idiosyncratic to be encoded, and is to be unified with the corresponding cirth rune, when it will be encoded.

    I haven't seen this, so I can't say.

    > Historical CryptogrammicRrunes
    > Do you have any reference (beyond the one you give here) about these cryptogrammic runes ?

    No, I don't. The Franks Casket however uses regular runes elsewhere and these cryptogrammic runes on the right side only. I use the word "cryptogrammic" because of analogous letters encoded for a similar usage in Coptic.