Re: n4013 Proposal to encode additional Runic characters in the UCS [was: Three modest proposals]

From: Frdric Grosshans (frederic.grosshans@m4x.org)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2011 - 16:21:32 CDT

    Thanks for your quick answer.

    ( )

    Le dimanche 03 avril 2011 à 20:10 +0100, Michael Everson a écrit :
    > On 3 Apr 2011, at 19:50, Frédéric Grosshans wrote:
    >
    > > The ᛞ glyph variant
    > > ––––––––––––––
    > > I guess you consider it as a glyph variation of the same character.
    > [...]
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > It would be nice to tell that explicitly on your proposal, since the
    > very first word of your transcription of Thror's map, ᛋᛏᚫᚾᛞ, doesn't
    > look like the reproduction you give in figure 3.
    >
    > That's because Figure 3 is a scan of Tolkien's drawing, and my
    > transcription uses a font.

    By the way, Andrew West's "BabelStone Moon Rune" font is supposed to
    make the corresponding glyph change.

    > But it doesn't need explanation, as that character is not relevant to
    > the characters being requested.
    [...]
    > I don't think so, because I don't need a new character to represent
    > it.

    You are clearly know what should be in a Unicode proposal much better
    than me.

    > > Gandalf's Rune
    > > ––––––––––––––
    > > Per Lindberg mentions a specific 'Gandalf rune' appearing in some
    > runic manuscripts, identical with a later certh rune.
    >
    > I haven't seen this, so I can't say.

    It is drawn in http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/runes-eng.pdf , page 6.
    The 3 original texts containing it are not reproduced in the document.
    If you want to check, they come from pages 154, 158, 235 of "The Return
    of the Shadow: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part One." [Edited
    by] Christopher Tolkien. London: Unwin Hyman, [25 August] 1988. Pp.
    [iii]-xii, 497 pp., [1] plate. (The History of Middle-earth; 6)
    ISBN 0-04-440162-0 .