Re: Three modest proposals

From: James Allan (jallanite@rogers.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2011 - 15:42:12 CDT

    On 2011-04-03 07:13, Julian Bradfield wrote:

    > I'm sure you won't find them. Hatchings as such are used only where
    > somebody wants to depict an achievement in detail in a medium where
    > colour is impossible or prohibitively expensive, such as engraving on
    > a brass plaque, or books in the pre-modern age.
    > Knowledgeable people use "gules", "vert", "argent" (or the equivalent
    > in their language) to refer to gules, vert, argent. Heraldic artists
    > and officers don't use hatchings at all for communication - if they
    > wish to sketch an achievement, they do a line drawing and indicate the
    > colours by abbreviations of the names.
    > In forty years of reading heraldry, I've never seen "hatching
    > characters".

    I have forgotten now where I first seen these hatchings, but they are,
    or at least were, in common use. The only book I have on the subject of
    heraldry is /Heraldry: Sources, Symbols and Meaning/ by Ottfried
    Neubeckerr, published by McGraw-Hill in 1976. The cross-hatching to
    indicate tinctures appears on page 86 and other cross-hatchings to
    indicate furs on page 87. Admittedly special characters are not used,
    rather a shield design is filled with color and another appears next to
    it with the corresponding tincture. This book is printed largely in
    color and so does not otherwise use the tinctures.

    See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatching_system for a discussion
    of various hatching systems used in heraldry of which the Petra Sancta
    system advocated by Everson is the most commonly used.

    I realize that you are talking about not having seen characters showing
    the hatchings to be used in legends rather than not seeing the hatchings
    themselves, but that ought to have been made more clear.

    If it indeed is the case that heraldic hatchings as characters have
    never been used, then Everson’s proposal is just another one for
    characters that might be useful. It has been stated again and again that
    characters will not be encoded by Unicode merely because they “might†be
    useful.