Re: Three modest proposals

From: John W Kennedy (jwkenne@attglobal.net)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2011 - 19:27:10 CDT

    On Apr 3, 2011, at 7:13 AM, Julian Bradfield wrote:
    > I don't read Western playing-card literature, but I have most
    > English-language mah-jong books, and a fair selection of other
    > languages (including Chinese), and I've never seen mah-jong tiles used
    > in a way that says to me "this is intended as a plain text character",
    > rather than "this is a picture embedded in the line of text". That
    > usage seems exactly analogous to children's word-picture books - will
    > Unicode encode pictures of ducks, pigs and so on because people publish
    > children's books in which they use pictures to replace words? (OK, I
    > know many of them are already in the emoji characters, but let's not
    > go there again.)
    > I am surprised if the same is not true of playing cards.

    I’m inclined to agree with your general argument, but with 58 playing cards already enrolled today, it’s hard to be terribly negative about adding 23 more to finish the set. (If the current set were limited to the modern deck, I don’t know that I’d call for the Tarot deck to be added, but since the Knight cards are already included, the current state of affairs seems to be an intrinsically unstable situation.)

    --
    John W Kennedy
    "Sweet, was Christ crucified to create this chat?"