Three modest proposals

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2011 - 13:32:24 CDT

    From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
    Date: Fri Apr 01 2011 - 12:10:14 CST

    Hi.
    Unicode does have shades also in the Block Element Characters U+2591 2592 2593 (perhaps having a very few shade characters might be useful in the event that graphs are exchanged as lines of text; but I don't know how many of these should be added . . . ).

    In any case, I did not get that this was a joke and even forgot that April 1 was April Fool's,
    but I could support adding annotations on hatching to existing characters
    and also adding the hatching for "or" (gold; Michael's proposed U+B2460).
    (But I don't have any knowledge of the ideal hatching system; just what's at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatching_system and in the info Michael sent. Also I do not know of where online these hatching are currently exchanged as text characters; right now all genealogy sites do these as images, usually colors, since these are used to color coats of arms.

    If these proposals are all meant to be taken as jokes please excuse this comment.)

    Best,

    --C. E. Whitehead
    cewcathar@hotmail.com