Re: Proposal for Combining Up Tack Above

From: Philippe Verdy (
Date: Wed Apr 06 2011 - 17:34:23 CDT

  • Next message: Asmus Freytag: "Re: Proposal for Combining Up Tack Above"

    And David provided a facsimile showing also a combining up tack below
    (not just above). Why isn't it in his proposal ? Aren't there also
    other combining tacks in other directions (left, right, bottom) ?

    I've seen some publications using other combining diacritics on top of
    other normal text as if it was an interlinear annotation, notably
    combining square corners, up or down, left or right, above or below,
    possibly shown in isolation combined with a space to show on the left
    or right of some text, and acting sometimes like special grouping
    parentheses (when they are in isolation or on the left or right side
    of a letter, they may look like normal corners in superscript or
    subscript, but when they are inserted above or below letters or
    clusters, this is no longer true).

    Unicode already contains such combining elements that could have been
    encoded as intelinear annotations, and were not. For example
    cantillation marks in Hebrew or Old Greek.


    2011/4/6 Michael Everson <>:
    > On 6 Apr 2011, at 22:16, Leo Broukhis wrote:
    >> Combining up tack above It can be represented by
    >> With a proper renderer, this should work:
    >> senā̍te
    > I think David's characters is a single fused glyph, not a macron with a vertical line above it.
    > Michael Everson *

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Wed Apr 06 2011 - 17:37:26 CDT