Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7

From: Mahesh T. Pai (paivakil@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2011 - 23:45:35 CDT

    Christopher Fynn said on Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 09:24:29AM +0600,:

    (snipped everything)

    This post revives some nostalgic memories. Since telegrams could be
    booked through telephone, the telephone directory used to contain
    these codes, in 3 languages - English, Hindi, and local language -
    Malayalam in my case. However, the directory would be renewed
    annually; we had to return the old book, and a new directory wa issued
    in its place. So, the current directory does not contain these
    phrases.

    Here is a link which mentions those phrases - it is not official site
    though.

    http://brownstudyofferings.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/more-on-phonograms/

    As you described, what we had to do was give the address of the
    addressee, the "code" of the message to be delivered and type of
    delivery (greetings - which were delivered in speical covers, express
    delivery within a few hours - usually same day, and normal - delivery
    next day).

    --
    Mahesh T. Pai   ||
    Distributing free copies of non-free software is --