Re: math alphabets, WAS: Proprietary Card Decks

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2011 - 13:06:32 CDT

    On 4/15/2011 1:38 AM, Hans Aberg wrote:
    > It has been discussed before.

    This doesn't answer my question.

    > One can make in effect a computer language on top of Unicode which tells writing directions. If moved into Unicode, there would need to be special characters for that.
    >
    > For example, a/b might be written like that, but it might be written (still inline) with 'a' over 'b' and a horizontal stroke between. In addition, there is "a over b" which does not have such a stroke (but normally parenthesizes). So one might have a character telling that two parts should be grouped over each other.

    Just FYI, that distinction is presentational, not semantic, where
    fractions are concerned.

    The choice often depends on rendering (layout) context, and if that
    context is known, it can be made by the layout software to good effect.
    For example, when writing 51 1/2 inline, the vertical build is more
    readable.

    UTN#28 describes how to indicate the semantic "fraction".