Re: math alphabets, WAS: Proprietary Card Decks

From: Hans Aberg (haberg-1@telia.com)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2011 - 08:27:15 CDT

    Since one can add parenthesizes for emphasis, a purely semantic parsing method is probably not good. One would end up classifying mathematical constructs, and ways enabling/disabling them, as one may not want to always use them.

    In addition to superscript and subscript characters, one would need grouping characters, which in TeX are '{' ... '}'. They do not display, but only show the logical grouping.

    So then f^(i + j) with displayed parenthesizes would have to be written f^{(i + j)}, but it proves full control of what to put into the superscript.

    If these grouping characters were integrated into the display of the text editor, one would see the superscript. So it would not be as illogical as when writing it inline.

    Hans