Re: Cooker symbols (from Re: Proprietary Card Decks)

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2011 - 08:43:01 CDT

    Thing is, it is a normal development that, when various entities
    generate various communication symbols on a large scale, such practice
    may be developed into an ISO/IEC standard. It takes a lot of work, but
    is a normal development. I would regard Unicode/ISO IEC 10646 as the
    ideal place, if not the only possible place, in which to codify as text
    elements the icons displayed on domestic appliances in use in every home
    and workplace.

    Scríobh 18/04/2011 12:43, William_J_G Overington:
    > Dear Marion
    >
    > Are the symbols in the following linked documents the ones to which you refer?

    Yes, some are.

    > http://www.dreamkitchensuk.com/oven_symbols.html
    >
    > http://www.dreamkitchensuk.com/oven_symbols-kitchen-part2.html
    >
    > http://www.neff.co.uk/Cooking_Icons.html
    >
    > http://www.neff.co.uk/files/Getting_Started_Leaflet.pdf
    >
    > If so, they might be a standard or a quasi-standard of some sort used by various manufacturers.

    Thanks. Above links supply ample evidence of both diversity and
    convergence of practice amongst various manufacturers.

    Scríobh 15/04/2011 17:25, Peter Constable:
    > Unicode and ISO 10646 are for coding of _characters_. Characters are elements of text. Not every graphic symbol that is given semantic significance in some usage context is a candidate for encoding as a character.
    I believe it appropriate in the context of ISO 10646 to accord thought
    to encoding such unavoidable symbols of immediate concern to users of
    domestic appliances, as to the encoding of some much less frequently
    used graphic symbols relating to emoji and fortune-telling cards, which,
    although I agree that is also useful to encode the latter as
    "characters", are of much less immediate use to the normal populace,
    i.e. wider community, who cannot avoid the former in daily life.
    > If evidence can be provided of usage as characters in text, then symbols can be proposed for encoding by the Unicode Technical Committee or JTC1/SC2/WG2.
    Glad to leave that research to JTC1/SC2/WG2 to do, if within its remit.
    > Other bodies such as JTC1/SC35 work on standardizing symbol sets (though not encoding of symbols as characters). Perhaps what you're looking for would be more appropriately accommodated by such bodies?
    Again, glad to leave that research to JTC1/SC35 to do, if within its
    remit. It is a relatively simple step from standardizing symbol sets to
    encoding those same symbols as individual characters for use in
    e-communications between users and with their suppliers.
    > I don't see how this relates in any way to ISO TC 37.
    Didn't say it did, Peter.

    Having raised this matter in what I regard as possibly interested
    quarters, I'm glad to leave it to any suitable group wanting to follow up.

    Le dea-mhéin,
    mg

    --
    Marion Gunn * eGteo (Estab.1991)