Re: which scripts are written vertically

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 23:24:58 CDT

    10.5.2011 23:19, fantasai wrote:

    > "Which scripts are written vertically?"
    >
    > But the answer given does not answer the question.

    I wonder if there _is_ any definitive answer. As the FAQ entry says:
    “Unlike the bidirectional case, the choice of vertical layout is usually
    treated as a formatting style”. Vertical layout is more common for some
    scripts than others, but it could be used for any script. Even the Latin
    script is fairly often written vertically in special contexts:

    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/