Re: which scripts are written vertically

From: fantasai (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net)
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 16:48:44 CDT

    On 05/12/2011 02:23 PM, Andrew West wrote:
    > On 10 May 2011 21:19, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Which scripts are written vertically?"
    >>
    >> But the answer given does not answer the question. The only script
    >> it lists explicitly is Mongolian; the rest of the text is just some
    >> background information on what vertical layout might entail.
    >>
    >> I would actually like to have a definitive answer to this question. :)
    >
    > The definitive answer is "any script may be written vertically" (or
    > diagonally, or upsidedown, or in spirals ...).

    Of course any orientation is valid if you start to bring in graphical
    design affectations. If you consider multi-paragraph texts, however,
    you get a different answer. Few writing systems accommodate multi-paragraph
    texts in a vertical orientation.

    The interpretation of the question that yields your answer of "any
    script" is
       "Which scripts can be written vertically?"

    The interpretation of the question that yields your answer of "only
    Mongolian and Phags Pa is
       "Which scripts should only be written vertically?"

    The interpretation of the question I'm interested in is
       "Which scripts are written vertically in normal (rather than
        exceptional) use?"

    ~fantasai