Re: which scripts are written vertically

From: Frédéric Grosshans (frederic.grosshans@m4x.org)
Date: Fri May 13 2011 - 07:49:45 CDT

    Le mardi 10 mai 2011 à 13:19 -0700, fantasai a écrit :
    > The second question is
    > "Which scripts are written vertically?"

    > I would actually like to have a definitive answer to this question. :)

    Are you restricted to Unicode encoded scripts ? Or do you include other
    scripts registered at http://unicode.org/iso15924/iso15924-codes.html ?
    In the latter case, there is also SignWriting (Sgnw), which can be
    written horizontally, but its preferred order is vertically.

    And then, there is the difficult to define direction of Maya hieroglyphs
    (Maya), in vertical columns of 2 glyphs, like :
            1278de
            349afg
            56bchi
    I'm tempted to call this vertical writing.

            Frédéric