Re: which scripts are written vertically

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue May 17 2011 - 03:20:06 CDT

    On 16 May 2011, at 23:33, fantasai wrote:

    > I'd drop the "using digital layout" part but otherwise, yes, that's a
    > good definition. If we had such a property it would need to state for
    > each script:
    > - what vertical directionality it has (if any). Horizontal scripts
    > would be none. Most vertical scripts would be top-to-bottom. Going
    > by Michael Everson's answer, Ogham would be bottom-to-top.

    NO, IT WOULD NOT.

    Ogham is incised on stone chiefly in a from bottom-to-top direction, though there are examples of left-to-right bilingual inscriptions in Irish and Latin. Manuscript Ogham accommodated the horizontal left-to-right direction of the Latin script, as do fonts, and the reasonable expectation of everybody is for Ogham to be processed on computers with left-to-right directionality.