Re: which scripts are written vertically

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue May 17 2011 - 03:26:54 CDT

    On 17 May 2011, at 02:34, fantasai wrote:

    > I will let you and Michael Everson argue over that then, because Ogham is not my area of expertise. It seems to me that you, however, might want to file an issue against Unicode 6 chapter 14.1, which states "Ogham should therefore be rendered on computers from left to right or from bottom to top (never starting from top to bottom)." which implies a preferred bottom-to-top directionality.

    It does not imply that. The preferred rendering on computers is from left to right. If someone is going to render any Ogham text vertically, however, then it should not be done top-to-bottom.

    Many people without any expertise have made the mistake of rendering it from top to bottom on their websites and in their books on Ogham "divination". This is irritating.