Re: [unicode] Script Properties for Typesetting

From: fantasai (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net)
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 03:58:07 CDT

    On 05/18/2011 01:18 AM, mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Wed, 18 May 2011 00:35:58 -0700
    > fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
    >> On 05/17/2011 07:32 PM, mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:
    >>> Although this document handles only 2 baseline
    >>> categories; alphabetic and central, I'm afraid
    >>> that it is unclear how hanging baseline should
    >>> be dealt.
    >>
    >> Hanging baseline will be dealt with in a future CSS module,
    >> likely an update to the draft currently at
    >> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-linebox/
    >
    > Thank you for clarification. Do you have any plan to
    > make a list of the scripts using baseline types?
    > Often hanging baseline is mentioned with "Indic" scripts,
    > some CSS editors are already aware that some Indic
    > scripts (like Tamil) do not use hanging baseline.
    > If you have a plan, I'm interested in the contribution.

    Since HTML does not convey the primary script of a document
    (only the primary directionality), it's unlikely that CSS
    can automatically choose the correct baseline per script
    even if we had such a mapping table. So probably authors
    will have to indicate the correct baseline manually. Of
    course, I can't predict accurately what will happen when
    that module is once again actively worked on. :) But last
    time I looked at the issue that was my conclusion.

    If you can give feedback on Indic and/or Southeast Asian
    typesetting issues, there are a number of them in CSS3 Text:
       http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/
    Spacing and justification suffer the most from lack of
    feedback... see particularly
       http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#script-groups
       http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-justify
       http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#letter-spacing